Major Database Changes

I’ve been working behind the scenes to prepare for a major update to LambTracker that will introduce many new features.

The biggest changes include full tracking of feeds, ownership and locations.

As a result of these changes the first step has been to add a number of new tables in the database structure. Designing that structure and getting it working has taken far longer than I expected.

Unfortunately, the additions and changes will effectively break all existing LambTracker code.

I am making a new development branch that will use the new database structure. I have started documenting what I need to do and have over 200 individual areas identified that need updates or changes to work with the new structure. To see the new structure in the code you can check out the blank lambtracker db file that is in the assets section. Once code changes are made I can merge things back into the main develop branch.

Of course complicating this all is that we are just weeks away from shearing and vaccinating which will be followed by lambing. I need LambTracker to be working to collect data and document all these procedures but it is unlikely that I can get all the code changes made before we start.

I have updated the blank spreadsheet files that are used to fill the new database structure when you first star using LambTracker and need to add in the historical data. That repository is now up to date.